Medical and Dental Information

Please note that all international students and interns must have health insurance. IHOPU does offer health insurance to domestic students.

Healthcare providers

View list of clinics, hospitals, and private practices »

What to do in a health emergency

Hospitals with emergency or urgent care centers are listed here. If you have no safe way to get yourself to an urgent care or emergency center, call 9-1-1 for an ambulance.

What to do if you get sick

1. Tell Someone

  • Let a friend or roommate know that you are not feeling well in case you may need help.
  • Email the teacher’s assistant (TA)/classroom assistant for each class or practicum you have to miss. See attendance policy »
  • If you are an international student and need help with any of the steps below, do not hesitate to contact International Services.

2. Visit a Pharmacy

Many medicines are available “over the counter” at pharmacies, meaning that you do not need to get a prescription from a doctor in order to purchase them.

Local CVS pharmacies »

Local Walgreens pharmacies »

Local Walmart pharmacies »

  • Talk to a pharmacist on duty at the pharmacy counter. You can identify them by their white jackets. Their job is to help customers decide what to purchase, so they will not be surprised to be asked for advice.
  • Describe all of your symptoms as well as you can—be honest, even about symptoms you are embarrassed about, because it will help them direct you to the best medicine.
  • If they don’t know what to suggest or are concerned that you need medical attention, they will tell you.
  • If you buy medicine, find out how much to take and how often. Have them write it down for you.

3. See a Doctor

  • If you have been sick for an extended period of time or need medicine only available with a doctor’s prescription, make an appointment to see a doctor.
  • If you need immediate care, go to a hospital emergency/urgent care center. You do not need an appointment at an urgent care center.
  • If you have health insurance, it will be cheaper for you to go to an “in-network” healthcare provider, meaning a doctor whose hospital/practice accepts your type of insurance. You can find out whether they accept your insurance by calling the hospital/practice or by visiting their website. You can also find a list of in-network healthcare providers on your insurance plan’s website.
  • If you are an international student with an insurance plan through IHOPU’s arrangement with ISO, an international student insurance agency, follow these steps to find health care providers in the ISO network:

    1. Visit
    2. Under the Customer Care menu, choose “Find Doctors and Hospitals.”
    3. On the next page, choose First Health. All students who were enrolled by IHOPU for a plan with ISO are part of the First Health network.
    4. On the final page, enter your postal code and the type of doctor you would like to see, or service you are seeking. For example, you can enter “family practice” for a general doctor, or “urgent care” or “medical emergency room” for medical emergencies.
    5. Remember that in the case of life-threatening emergencies, you can dial 911 for immediate medical attention (an ambulance will be sent to you). For non-emergency medical attention, it is best to schedule and appointment with a doctor (rather than going to urgent care or an emergency room), as the services will be less expensive.